Volkswagen camper vans are a great way to spend your next vacation. They’re comfortable, easy to maneuver and are relatively fuel efficient. One thing to keep in mind is that Volkswagen campers are not particularly fast or powerful and are best for trips where road access is good and speed isn’t a necessity. What they lack in speed they make up for in character and convenience.
Rent vs. Buy
While you can find many camper vans for sale, you should take some time and determine whether it will be in your best interest to buy or rent. Here are a few things to investigate:
- Cost – Unless you spend a good deal of time traveling each year, chances are that renting will be more economical than buying. When you rent, you only pay for the time you’re using the van and you don’t have additional recurring expenses such as insurance.
- Availability – While there is a good selection of camper vans for rent in most areas, there is a more limited supply of Volkswagen camper vans. That said, they are still possible to find if you hunt enough.
- Convenience – Owning a Volkswagen camper van means that whenever the impulse strikes you can hit the road. You won’t have to worry about making reservations, getting a ride to the rental location or returning the van at a particular time.
- Customization – One of the best things about owning your own van is the ability to make modifications. You can outfit your Volkswagen van any way you wish when you own instead of rent.
Planning your Purchase
If you decide to purchase you will need to determine a strategy for choosing among the used camper vans on the market. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What is your budget?
- How many people will you be traveling with?
- Does anyone in your party have special needs or mobility issues that will need to be addressed?
- What style of VW camper van do you prefer?
- What kind of features are you hoping to have?
- Do you want to buy from a dealer so you can get financing, or will you pay cash?
- What is your time frame for making a decision? The longer you have the more campers you’ll be able to view and compare.
Once you have a good idea of your needs you’ll be in a great position to find the perfect Volkswagen camper van. After your first few trips you’ll likely wonder how you ever did without one.