As time goes by, it’s becoming more and more difficult to find VW split screen camper vans for sale – particularly those in good condition. In this guide we’ll give you some tips on finding quality VW camper vans as well as some pros and cons of buying vs. renting.
Generally speaking, it’s safer to buy a VW camper locally. As you shop around, here are a few things you should be looking for:
- Which features are most important to you? Will you consider vans that don’t have your specific feature set if they’re within your price range? Knowing the answers to these questions will help you determine which VW split screens you should be looking at.
- Are you looking only at VW split screen camper vans for sale or are you also considering other models?
- What’s the general condition of the camper?
- Will the seller allow an independent mechanic to inspect it?
- How much work are you willing to do to refurbish your camper? Since most split screens are late models you should be prepared to put in some work.
If you’re comfortable with purchasing a vehicle that you can’t test drive first (or that will take some effort to test drive), then shopping online is your best bet for good selection. Try eBay or online classifieds to find a good VW type 2 camper vans sale. There are a few things to keep in mind when you shop online:
- Pictures can be deceiving. The best way to determine condition is to either travel to the location and inspect the vehicle yourself. Another method is to ask for additional photos before making a decision. Videos can also be more helpful – if the seller is eager to sell they may be willing to take a short video.
- Have an inspection. Arrange with the seller to have an independent mechanic do an inspection. Schedule time to talk with the mechanic directly and have them act as your advocate.
- What’s the return policy? Any time you buy online it’s important to know what your options are if you’re not satisfied once you see the VW camper in person.
VW Split Screen Camper Vans for Hire
If you’re only beginning to consider purchasing a split screen, it can be a great idea to rent one first. Finding a VW split screen camper for hire will give you the opportunity of trying one out on an extended trip to see if it’s really the ideal camper for you. Most VW camper van rentals can be equipped by the leasing company so they are very convenient. Also, renting means you only pay for the days you use and you don’t have the ongoing expense of insurance or repairs.